Why are the plants modified? So they can spray the heck out of them with Roundup (a Monsanto weed killer that most people have used in their yard). The modified plant is not affected by the weed killer. So now you're eating a food that has been doused with weed killer.
The problem is the weeds have become increasingly immune to the spray, so they spray more Roundup on the crops during the course of their growth.
Doesn't that sound yummy? Okay, now do you want to be more discriminant about your corn, soy, canola and cotton seed food choices?
"In 1992, the Food and Drug Administration claimed they had no information showing that GM foods were substantially different from conventionally grown foods. Therefore absolutely no safety studies were required.Here is a list of problems stemming from GMO foods—pick your favorite:
But secret internal memos made public by a lawsuit show that the actual consensus among FDA scientists was that GMOs can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects, including allergies, toxins, new diseases, and nutritional problems. They urged long-term safety studies.
Sadly, the FDA official in charge of policy ignored the warnings." ~Jeffery M. Smith author Seeds of Deception
- Since GMO introduction in 1996 chronic illnesses have increased from 7% to 13% in 2005, allergies more than doubled and other ailments are on the rise.
- Introduces new allergies or elevates existing ones.
- Animal studies show drastic reduction in digestive enzymes which can increase allergic sensitivity and cause digestive issues.
- GM corn and cotton produce a poison called Bt-toxin linked to animal deaths in several countries.
- May cause infertility. Pigs and cows became sterile and rats had reproductive problems when fed GM corn.
- May hurt newborns. Most of the babies of rats fed GM soy died within three weeks of birth.
- The only human study done shows GM food alters DNA of bacteria in gastrointestinal tract.
Be good to yourself and your family and stay away from GMO food. Read How to Avoid Genetically Modified Food to get more information.
For a thorough look at the issue, watch The Unhealthy Truth video (important 15 minutes of your time) given by Robyn O'Brien, a mom campaigning to educate the public about the dangers of GMO.
What are your thoughts on the food supply? Scroll down and leave a comment.